Located in the English Channel off the coast of France, the Channel Islands’ most visited units are Jersey and Guernsey. With perceptible British and French influences, Channel Islands are a mix of picturesque landscapes, rich heritage and diverse lifestyles.
Attractions and Activities in the Channel Islands
The Channel Islands National Park is made up of five islands – Anacapa, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, San Miguel and Santa Barbara – each having its own charm. It offers excellent water sports, birdwatching and hiking opportunities.
- The Robert J. Lagomarsino visitor center features a bookstore, displays, native plant garden and screens a movie.
- Channel Islands Live offers interactive broadcasts and webcams on the natural and cultural aspects of the island.
- Inspiration Point on Anacapa Island provides one of the best views even on foggy days.
- Cavern Point in Santa Cruz is a wonderful viewpoint and is known for a historic ranch en route and snorkeling in the Scorpion Anchorage.
- Scorpion Ranch Campground on Santa Cruz provides exciting activities – hiking, snorkeling, kayaking and guided interpretive programs.
- Point Bennett on San Miguel is the best point to view a diverse collection of wildlife with over 30,000 seals and sea lions.
- Whale Watching is a popular activity in Santa Barbara which also features an impressive collection of gray whales, dolphins and elephant seals.
Channel Islands Harbor is a must-experience place for water lovers.
- Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary, located off the coast of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties, spans 1,110 square nautical miles and features sensitive habitats, shipwrecks and maritime heritage artifacts.
- Channel Islands Kayak Center offers island cave tours, history & wildlife tours and kayak rentals.
- Channel Islands Farmer’s Market sells fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers, garden-related supplies, arts, crafts and baked goods.
- Beaches – Hollywood Beach and Silver Strand Beach – offer fun activities and recreation.
- Parks – Channel View Park, Harbor East Park, Harbor View Park and Peninsula Park – feature picnic tables, turf, concrete walks and playgrounds.
Channel Islands Transportation
Channel Islands have three airports – Alderney Airport, Guernsey Airport and Jersey Airport which are connected via Blue Islands and Aurigny flights. The Los Angeles International Airport and Santa Barbara Airport are nearby airports serviced by thousands of daily incoming and outgoing flights. The Alderney Railway provides regular passenger service. Alderney also has two other miniature railway services. The Heritage Steam railway services Jersey as part of the Pallot Heritage Steam Museum.
The mainland visitor centers are accessible via car or public transport, but the islands are accessible only via boats and planes. The park concessionaire Island Packers provides year-round public boat transportation and the park concessionaire Channel Islands Aviation offers year-round public airplane transportation to Santa Rosa Island.
Channel Islands Accommodations
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor, located in Oxnard, overlooks the Channel Islands Harbor marina and is close to the Silver Strand Beach. It has 95 rooms featuring complimentary wireless and wired Internet access, air-conditioning, televisions with premium satellite channels and scenic balconies with marina views. Other amenities include complimentary breakfast, fitness center, and outdoor pool with fire pit area, playground a2nd tennis court.